Friday, February 20, 2015

The day I got my hedgehog he was the cutest thing to me. He didn’t like me at first unfortunately but he start to get to know me and loosed up. The first couple day he just spent his time in the box that he came in the day I picked him up from the store. I cut the box into two and gave the bigger half the Lucifer to sleep in. Anyway, the first time I picked him up he didn’t not like it at all. He balled up in my hands and spiked me. He didn’t like it one bit. Blahblahblah. After a couple more days of trying to pick him up, he finally let me do it without him balling up. Lucifer snuffed around my hand and started to lick my hand. After doing so, he started to foam at the mouth and seemed to try and swipe the foamy stuff from his mouth and onto his back. I freaked out and stuck him back in the cage and looked it up. Come to find out, it’s a natural thing that they do. When they pick up on a scent that they like or a taste of something they like or is familiar, then they create the foamy saliva and wipe it on themselves to out that smell or taste on them. It’s also used to hind the hedgehog scent so that predictors do not attack them. After owning my little one for a month now the next thing that I had to accomplish with Lucifer was giving him a bath. He didn’t not like it, but at the same time he didn’t hate it either. Did you know that they like to swim in water?
--

After doing so, he started to foam from the mouth and swiping the foam on to his quills on his body. Whenever hedgehogs do this they are getting the scent onto themselves what they do is, they lick or create saliva that foams and bubbles up and when they spend it onto their quills they try to hid their scent by do so. Whenever they put this foam on t it takes the scent that it was licking on and maximum the scent and by putting the new scent on to themselves it create a confusing scent for predictor come around. This is also a way to know that your hedgehog is starting to bond or connect with you. By putting your se scent on to them then they are comfortable with you and will learn that you’re not trying to hurt them or trying to get them each and every time you try to handle them t or try to get them out of there cage. Blahblahblah. Hedgehogs are also and interesting animal because it is nocturnal. They sleep during the day and become active at night, I didn’t think about this whenever I brought him home from the pet store. So every night when I’m going to bed I have to wear my earbuds because he is very loud at night. Between his itching and scratching all night and his constant running across the cage. It would drive you insane. After I trim his nails a little bit them the noise s sucked die down a little bit and it should cause him the not be so loud.

No comments:

Post a Comment